What do you need to do the thing you've always wanted to do?
So you’ve written a novel/story/blog post. You’ve poured your heart and soul into it, and, now, you want to get it edited. (Cue nervous sweating.) Editing can be a tough experience, but it doesn’t have to be painful. The best thing you can give your work is a second pair of eyes. That’s where I come in. I’ve written screenplays, stories, blog posts, essays, and a half dozen full-length novels. I know what it’s like the be the writer and the editor, and I want to help you make your work the best it can be. Not only can I review your work for grammar and spelling mistakes, but I can also provide help in improving structure, plotting, character development, etc. I know what it’s like to be a writer and the bravery it takes to give your work for someone to critique. I want to work with you to improve your writing. Interested?
Here's what you get:
- Introductory email questionnaire so I can get to know you
- 1 editing pass on your written work covering structure, grammar, syntax, and spelling
Follow-up email with notes and suggestions for rewrites
- Novels (30,000+ words): $120 per document
- Most everything else (less than 30,000 words): $50 per document
- For documents less than 5000 words: prices are negotiable
"Douglas's review of my first draft was, well, he attacked it with excitement, a critical eye and an enthusiasm to propel me toward success. He was fair, he was honest, and he was very helpful. Douglas did not handle my project with kid gloves, rather he rolled up his sleeves and dove right in. He didn't tear me down with critiques which was a fear of mine. Instead he gave me actionable feedback that gave me a clearly charted map. Thanks to Douglas I have the confidence in my new direction and the energy to go full steam ahead."
- Maggie Franz
Author of "Traffic on the Trail"
Have you ever wanted to know more about something, but you didn’t know where to even start to look? The Internet is a big place, and as much as we know the information is out there, it can be a lot of trouble navigating it. Maybe you’re trying to put together a program in your company and want to know how other businesses are doing the same thing. Maybe you have an idea for a story but need to gather up facts about the people, places, and things you want to write about. Maybe you are simply curious and want to know more about a subject. I’ve researched information for historical fiction novels, employee wellness programs, book clubs, and everything in between. I can put together a comprehensive packet that is as specific or broad as you need it to be. What do you want to know more about? Contact me.
Here's what you get:
- Introductory email questionnaire so I can get to know you and the subject you're interested in
- 1 comprehensive write-up on your desired subject formatted towards what you hope to use it for
- $100 per subject write-up
Sometimes the hardest thing to do is come up with a good idea. You know it’s out there, in the sea of your thoughts, but you can’t seem to nail it down or flesh it out. What you need is a good brainstorming session, and, good news is, it’s not as complicated as you might think. Sometimes, all you need is someone to talk to. You’ll be surprised what you can come up with when you have someone experienced and supportive to bounce ideas off of. I want to be that for you. Let’s talk.
Here's what you get:
- Introductory email questionnaire so I can get to know you and the ideas you're interested in
- One 60-minute video brainstorming session to swap ideas and help turn the thoughts in your head into actionable steps
- Follow-up email with notes, final thoughts, and a healthy dose of "You got this one, Superstar!"
- $100 per session
"While working together, Douglas went above and beyond to ensure I left our brainstorming sessions energized and enlightened. His experience with writing, editing, and research helped me not only with brainstorming for #createlounge's book club, but also with the logistics of putting the ideas into action. His empathy, attention to detail, and dedication make him a fantastic fit for your next project. I feel lucky to have him as a part of my team and I know you'll feel the same way."
- Kayla Hollatz
Founder of #CreateLounge
Too often the hardest thing in the world for a writer to do is simply write. To find the motivation, time, and space to get the words on the page. Do you struggle with the impetus and inspiration to write? Do you have a good idea but feel paralyzed by the enormity of the work it would take? Do you know, deep down, that you could finish that novel if only you had some way to push yourself? This is not about someone telling you what to write, this is about someone reminding you that you can write. Someone cheering you on and pushing you forward. I’ve completed 4 National Novel Writing Months in the last four years, and I know the kinds of things that go through a writer’s head that prevent them from doing the thing they were born to do. Let me help you fight the voices, the haters, the naysayers, the nagging doubts inside you. I can provide you with weekly or even daily writing advice as well as a listening ear for your doubts and speed bumps. Let me be in your corner, cheering you on.
Here's what you get:
- Introductory email questionnaire so I can get to know you, your project, and your specific needs as a writer
- One 30-minute video call so we can chat about your project, writing, or just life in general
- 6 emails, delivered at whatever interval you prefer, (monthly, weekly, etc.), with tips, tricks, and lots of encouragement to help you tackle your word count
- 6 email replies. Have a question? Concern? Can’t seem to focus? Drop me a message and I’ll reply with some tailored advice to let you know someone has your back
- One 30-minute video call after you’ve conquered your latest project, so I can congratulate you on being the dynamite writer I always knew you were
- And, free-of-charge, I'll throw in lots of random support over twitter
- $400 per project
"Douglas is great to work with! He sent lots of encouragement my way during the writing process encouraging me to keep writing on hard days. He offered great advice and writing tips to make the overall process go smoother. I high recommend working with him."
Author of "52 Pep Talks"
What People are Saying:
"Douglas is an encourager. He sees the heart behind people and their thick exteriors and he makes it his mission to dig deeper. Working with Douglas to plot out plans for a second and third book were a game-changer for me. He puts all the ideas on the table. He offers clarity, wisdom, and reminds you of just how capable you are. Douglas and his services are needed in this world-- we all need to know someone is on our team during the hard days and the victorious milestones."
- Hannah Brencher
Author of "If You Find This Letter"
"Douglas has a way of being everyone's cheerleader in the most genuine and uplifting way. He takes the time to get to know YOU, the soul behind the screen, and then points out the potential he sees, often something you hadn't thought of before. Douglas and I talked a lot during my hiatus period when I was sorting through a lot of confusion about my brand and the direction I wanted to go. He asked me questions that got me thinking about ideas I normally might be too scared to pursue. I always feel comfortable sharing my new ideas with him, no matter how crazy or silly they seem inside my head, and feel motivated to take action after our conversation. Douglas continually affirms my place in this digital space, a gift for which I can't thank him enough. I know I will always have a friend and a supporter in him."
- Marissa Burdett
If you're interested in working with me, please use the form below. I can't wait to work with you!